Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Personal Update

The veteran isn't going to touch much on the Cheney shooting scandal today (other than to point out that similar circumstances for normal people usually lead to manslaughter charges), but instead, is going to let you, the readers, into his personal life a little.

This has been a spectacularly bad year. This blog usually isn't used for my personal cries for help, but it's bad lately, so I feel I should explain the recent lack of posts.

My birthday's this week. I'll be twenty-six. Yay!
That's the good part. Now for the bad.
My grandmother died a few months ago. You all know about that, if you've read far enough down. It looks pretty well like my father might be next. About two weeks ago, he broke his neck while cutting down a tree. It fell the wrong way, which is a bit of a fluke for him, as he's been cutting his own firewood since before my birth. If that hasn't complicated things enough, he's since been assaulted by pneumonia and a pesky staph infection. He's currently paralyzed from about the waist down, and portions of his upper body aren't working. He's breathing with the help of a tracheotomy, a ventilator, and his stomach muscles. His diaphragm is non-functional. He can move his arms, but has no motor control in his fingers. He re-broke his foot, which was broken the first time only about six months ago. In short, he's in bad shape. He's not quite lucid enough to be considered of sound mind yet (painkillers and antidepressants), but he's been asking for the docs to pull the equipment and let him go. Dad's always been very active, and once said something to the effect that he'd sooner die than sit behind a desk all day. Well, folks, it's looking like he probably wouldn't even be able to do that, at least for several years. He's only fifty-two, and this has come on him in addition to severe diabetes and heart problems. Believe me, I can understand where he's coming from, even if I can't say I've been there. I know that even if (when) I try to talk him out of this, if his mind's set on it, he's going to do it. I don't want my dad to die. Hell, I just finally really got to know him when he quit drinking in 2001, after my return from Japan.

I'm not going to go any further into this, or into the things going on with college and work. I thought you should know, though, and don't think I've forgotten you, even if I don't have time to write much right now. I'll be back soon enough.

-The Veteran

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. I've been in a similar situation and know what you're facing. Its hard. Very hard. Do your best.

2/19/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Mad Mod said...

Thank you.

2/20/2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger The Ole '55 said...

Trivial comment: "usually lead to manslaughter charges" ??? I don't follow.

More substantial: How horrible for your father and your family. I pray you all find strength, peace and healing in the presence of God. Lord, have mercy.

And happy birthday, veteran, from another vet more your dad's age.

2/20/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Mad Mod said...

Bless you, sir, and thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

2/20/2006 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home